The gist of it is that you don't spend time trying to get your local soil just right...you instead level off a part of your yard, lay some weed cloth, and build a 6" tall box, either 4'x4' or 2'x8' - just so it's not wider than 4' it can be any size. Then you mix equal parts peat moss, vermiculite and compost and fill your box. After that, you grid off your box into square feet using lath and then you have 16 areas in which to plant 16 different veggies or herbs (in the case of the 4'x4' box or 2'x8' box). Your soil is perfect and the weed cloth prevents weeds.
This sounded good to us, so we went about it. But first, we mowed and weeded the front lawn. Here are some pictures of Tyler "helping":
Then we went to Home Depot to get some wood and things for our Square Foot Garden. Tyler went down to nap and we went to work! But what transformation would be good without a "before picture"?!?! (Beware: it's pretty shameful!)
Now, here's the after. We just have to move the rocks by the house over by our Square foot Garden. Then we'll borrow a friend's rototiller to till up the dirt and plant new grass. We're on our way!! :)
OH - P.S. - we chose an 8'x2' and we're going to build more of them up against the fence and leave the middle open as a walkway to access them all. :) Can't wait!











4 comments:
Very cool! I'm excited to see how this goes for you!
Hey that is great!! Good for you! Now that we own a house I want to do the same thing, I just don't really know how to go about it, especially being in Texas and all! I will look for that book at our library! Keep us updated.
Wow! You got a lot of work done! I have all kinds of veggies coming up, and I'm hoping we have lots of fresh stuff to eat this summer. Tyler has grown so fast! How can he get any cuter? I miss you, Jaimegirl!
How fun! And the pictures are cute. Peyton loves digging and raking and all of that as well =) So cute!
Post a Comment